Service types explained

  • Adult placement - Adult placement scheme

    Previously known as 'Adult family placement schemes’ they provide care and accommodation for people with a learning disability.

  • Adult residential (care homes)

    Small care home

    Provides care and accommodation for 4 or less people with a learning disability or a mental health problem, as well as people aged 65 or older.

    Care home-older adult

    Also known as a ‘residential care home’ or ‘rest home’. Provides accommodation and care for people aged 65 years or older who have physical or mental health problems and/or are disabled or infirm, but do not require support from trained nursing staff. 

    Care home-younger adult                                                                        

    Provides care and accommodation for people aged 18-64 years with a learning or physical disability or mental health problem. Usually a ‘small care home’ but sometimes can offer more than four places.

    Care home with nursing

    Provides care and accommodation for people aged 18 years or over who are physically or mentally ill and/or who are disabled or/and require support from trained nursing staff to help them manage their illness, disability or infirmity.

    Care home with nursing older adult

    Provides support and accommodation for people aged 65 years or older, including nursing.

    Care home with nursing younger adult    

    Provides support and accommodation for people aged 18 – 64 years, including nursing care.

    Domiciliary care agency

    An service providing care in a person’s own home.

    Supported living

    A domiciliary care agency that provides support for people who are tenants in their own homes, but supported by a staff team working in their home. It helps people with a learning disability or mental health problem to decide  where they live and who supports them.

  • Children’s services

    Adoption agency

    An agency that assesses, prepares and approves potential adopters who want to provide children with a stable life.

    Boarding schools

    Boarding schools provide education and accommodation for school age children during term time. Children may attend each day, but others live on the premises during term time and are cared for out side of school hours, including weekends by boarding scho ol staff. 

    Children’s home

    A care home for children and young people aged up to 18 years who, because of their vulnera bility, require accommodation and support.

    Fostering services

    This service provides a range of placements for children and young people aged 0-18 years who are unable to live with their birth family and who are 'looked after' by local authorities. They are op erated by local authorities and independent fostering agencies. 

    Further education colleges

    Further education colleges can provide accommodation for students to live on site whilst they are studying.  R egistered with CSSIW if accommodation is provided for students who are under the age of 18 years.

    Residential family centre

    Centres where parents undergo a residential assessment of their ability to care safely for their children. Usually arranged by the local authority or at the direction of the courts.

    Residential special school

    Residential Special Schools offer residential placements for pupils with moderate learning difficulties and behavioural problems. Pupils may have been   excluded from, or have difficulty attending mainstream school and may be subject to a Statement of Special Educational Need.

    Secure unit

    A secure place for young people aged 12-17 years placed through the Courts, due to offending behaviour or because they pose a significant risk to themselves or others in the community.

  • Children’s day care

    Child minder  

    A person registered to provide care in their own home for a specified number of children.


    Provides occasional day care for children under eight years old.

    Full day care   

    Provides day care for children under eight years old for four hours or more in a day, outside of domestic premises. Examples include day nurseries, children’s centre , some family centres and wrap around care.

    Out of school care

    Provides care for children from age 3 years or older for more than 2 hours a day. Examples include break fast clubs, after school clubs, holiday play schemes and summer camps.

    Sessional day care

    Provides day care for children under eight for four hours a day outside of domestic premises. Usually the service is use d by children aged 3-5 years rather than babies or toddlers, although some may admit 2 year olds.

    Open access play provision

    Allows children including those aged 7 years or older to play, learn, develop and mix with other children in a safe environment without parental supervision. Examples include soft play centres or play schemes.

Concerns about care? Please let us know if you have any concerns about us, a service, or a member of care staff. Raise a concern