Register to become a child minder

Information and guidance to help you register as a child minder.

All application forms on our website are available in Welsh or English.

Reference to ‘Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales’ (CSSIW) in the documents on this page should be read as ‘Care Inspectorate Wales'.

  • Who needs to register?

    Child minding is when a person is paid to look after one or more child under the age of 12 on domestic premises, for example their home.

    You can find out if you need to register by checking the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare.

  • Before you apply to register

    • Contact Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY) to enquire about becoming a child minder
    • Contact your local Family Information Service and complete pre registration training
    • Complete the introduction to childcare course organised by the your local authority

  • How to register

    You can download the registration forms and guidance or you can contact your regional office for a registration pack.

  • Local planning

    We no longer require evidence about the planning status of child minders premises and do not require any declaration in respect of planning. This applies to those applying to register with us for the first time. 

    You are responsible for making sure that your premises comply with planning and building control, environmental health and fire safety regulations.

    Our role is to ensure that the premises are safe and suitable for the provision of care, taking into account the maximum number of children you will care for at any one time and the available space for each child.

    Compliance with child care standards is different from planning permission. Local planning authorities will continue to consider the character of the property in relation to all children care for. You have a duty to ensure you comply with other laws and regulations that affect your premises and your business, such as planning and building controls.

    More information about planning is available on the Welsh Government’s website (External link).

  • Tax-free childcare

    Top things you should know from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about Tax-free childcare. (External link)


Download documents

On this site

Notification forms

If you are registered with us you must notify us of any changes or incidents at your service


Elsewhere on the web

Concerns about care? Please let us know if you have any concerns about us, a service, or a member of care staff. Raise a concern