Register to provide a children's service

Information and guidance to help you register a children’s care service.

All application forms on our website are available in Welsh or English.

Who needs to register?

If you are providing children’s services you must register with us. This can include a children’s home, an independent foster agency, voluntary adoption agency, residential family centre and domiciliary care agency.

Boarding schools, residential special schools, further education colleges which accommodate students under 18 do not need to register. However we do inspect these services.

You can find out if you need to register your proposed service by checking the relevant National Minimum Standards.

How to register

You can download the registration forms and guidance or you can contact your regional office for a registration pack.

Important information

If you are applying to register any of the following:

  • A children’s home
  • Secure accommodation or 
  • A residential family centre 

you need to be aware that the Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016 comes into force in April 2018, and the above services will have to re-register at that point. We recommend you consider our timescales for processing applications before you submit. More information about the changes is available on the Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016 page. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Reference to ‘Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales’ (CSSIW) in the documents on this page should be read as ‘Care Inspectorate Wales'.


Download documents

On this site

Concerns about care? Please let us know if you have any concerns about us, a service, or a member of care staff. Raise a concern