Register to provide a day care and play service

Information and guidance to help you register a children’s day care and play service.

All application forms on our website are available in Welsh or English.

Reference to ‘Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales’ (CSSIW) in the documents on this page should be read as ‘Care Inspectorate Wales'.

  • Who needs to register?

    Day care and play is when a person looks after children under the age of 12 on premises other than domestic premises (for example their home) for more than 2 hours in any one day.

    This can include day nurseries (full day care), out of school care, playgroups, crèches and open access provision, for example soft play centre.

    You can find out if you need to register by checking the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare.

  • How to register?

    You can download the registration forms and guidance or you can contact your regional office for a registration pack.

  • Local planning

    We no longer require evidence about the planning status of child minders premises and do not require any declaration in respect of planning. This applies to those applying to register with us for the first time. 

    You are responsible for making sure that your premises comply with planning and building control, environmental health and fire safety regulations.

    Our role is to ensure that the premises are safe and suitable for the provision of care, taking into account the maximum number of children you will care for at any one time and the available space for each child.

    Compliance with child care standards is different from planning permission. Local planning authorities will continue to consider the character of the property in relation to all children care for.

    You have a duty to ensure you comply with other laws and regulations that affect your premises and your business, such as planning and building controls.

    More information about planning is available on the Welsh Government’s website (External link).

  • Tax-free childcare

    Top things you should know from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about Tax-free childcare. (External link)


Download documents

On this site

Notification forms

If you are registered with us you must notify us of any changes or incidents at your service

Concerns about care? Please let us know if you have any concerns about us, a service, or a member of care staff. Raise a concern