Childcare and play inspection - from response to recovery
Our approach to providing assurance about the quality and safety of services.
In July, we published our approach to providing assurance about the quality and safety of services. This is outlined in our response to recovery plan found on our COVID-19 information page.
Our approach includes the following:
- Routine inspections of childcare and play services will remain suspended during the recovery phase.
- We will focus on monitoring services and will directly contact as many as possible.
- When we contact a service, we will explore a small range of questions and issues with a focus on arrangements for staffing and leadership and management.
- While the majority of services will receive general monitoring contact only, we may in some circumstances undertake an inspection.
- We may undertake a virtual inspection, or if it is necessary and safe to do so, we may visit a service to inspect. It is likely that most inspections will be focused on specific parts of our inspection framework and will not result in ratings.
At present, we have no set date for how long this recovery phase will last and we will keep it under weekly review. Any action we take will be in line with Welsh Government and Public Health Wales guidance to help limit the spread of COVID-19.