In light of the current pressures on social care providers due to the Covid 19 emergency, we have agreed with Welsh Government to delay implementation of the annual return requirement by one year, to May 2021.
Therefore providers will not be required to complete an annual return in 2020.
The 2016 Act requires registered service providers to submit an Annual Return following the end of each financial year.
The Annual Return will be accessible from the April 2021 and must be submitted by midnight, 26 May 2021 by service providers who operate any of the following:
- Care Home Services
- Domiciliary Services
- Secure Accommodation Services
- Residential Family Centre Services
- Fostering Services
- Adoption Services
- Advocacy Services
- Adult Placement Services
The information contained within an annual return is set out within the Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016 and the Regulated Services (Annual Returns) (Wales) Regulations 2017. A draft copy of the key questions contained within the annual return can be found within the document below.
- The Annual Return system will be developed to enable anyone with the necessary access, including online assistants to complete the information required within the Annual Return. Please ensure your CIW Online administrator has given the key individuals within your organisation the necessary permissions to complete the Annual Return
- Only the Responsible Individual (RI) for the service they are designated for will be able to complete the declaration of truth contained within the annual return for that service. The service provider will also need to complete a declaration of truth and any RI can submit the service provider’s completed Annual Return. Please check all designated RIs have access to their CIW Online account and that they have activated their account status to that of an RI.
- To ensure your Annual Return is submitted on time please log in to your CIW Online account before the 1 April to ensure your service details are accurate and up to date.
Statement of Compliance
The RI will be required to provide a statement of compliance for the service they are designated for within the annual return. This should outline how the service meets the standards of care and support set out within the regulations.
The RI will be required to prepare this statement of compliance. When preparing the statement the RI must have regard to the outcome of the latest quality of care review.
Our quality of care review report template has been designed to support the RI to complete their statement of compliance, for inclusion within the Annual Return.