Skip to main content
Global keyword search
0300 7900 126

Complaints about a local authority

What to do if you want to make a complaint about a social care service delivered or commissioned by a local authority.

We do not investigate complaints about local authorities. This is because they have their own complaints procedure. However, we are interested to hear from people about their experience of the service they receive.

If you have a concern about the service delivered by a local authority

If you have a concern about the way a local authority service operates, you should contact them directly. They have their own complaints process and information which you can request from them.

Local authorities are responsible for delivering services directly, such as running a residential care home or a home care service. They are also responsible for services they commission and fund. For example, paying for someone to live in a private residential care home.

If you receive a service in either of these ways, you can make a complaint to the company who provides the service on behalf of the local authority, as well as the local authority itself.

If you’re still unhappy

If you’re still unhappy about the outcome of your complaint, you can also contact the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales (External link) who may choose to review the complaint and how it was handled.

You can contact the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales (External link) about a range of issues. Visit the Ombudsman’s website for further details.

  • Share this page
  • Twitter Facebook Email More