Register to become a child minder

Information and guidance to help you register as a child minder.

Who needs to register?

Child minding is when a person is paid to look after one or more child under the age of 12 on domestic premises, for example their home.

You can find out if you need to register by checking the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare.

How to register

Before you start the registration process you should follow the steps below:

You can download the registration forms and guidance below or you can contact our registration team for a registration pack.

How to submit your application

When you are ready to submit your application please call us on 0300 126 7900 and select ‘registration’ from the phone menu.
Remember you will also need to have an enhanced DBS as part of this process, for more information on how to undertake a DBS click on this link - Disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks.

If you are applying for your DBS through Vibrant Nation and need to submit your ID you can do this as part of your appointment to submit your application to register with us. 

Your application to register as a child minder (or day care provider) must be complete before we can accept it. 
Below we have included links to our checklists that we use to check your application is complete. 

Why not take a look to make sure you have everything in place before you come in to see us. 


You must have:

  • First aid certificate
  • Level 3 ‘Home based childcare’

Local planning

We no longer require evidence about the planning status of child minders premises and do not require any declaration in respect of planning. This applies to those applying to register with us for the first time. 
You are responsible for making sure that your premises comply with planning and building control, environmental health and fire safety regulations.

Our role is to ensure that the premises are safe and suitable for the provision of care, taking into account the maximum number of children you will care for at any one time and the available space for each child.

Compliance with child care standards is different from planning permission. Local planning authorities will continue to consider the character of the property in relation to all children care for. You have a duty to ensure you comply with other laws and regulations that affect your premises and your business, such as planning and building controls.

More information about planning is available on the Welsh Government’s website (External link).

Tax-free childcare

Top things you should know from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about Tax-free childcare. (External link)

Quality of Care

This Quality of Care Review template is available to assist you when formatting your Quality of Care Review. If you use an alternative format, it must be compliant with the Child Minding and Day Care (Wales) Regulations 2010. 

You do not need to send us a copy of your review unless specifically required to do so by your inspector. For those services due to receive a joint inspection by CIW and Estyn, you may use the template and cover all themes in the joint inspection framework, or use an alternative method.

Download documents