Register a day care and play service

Information and guidance to help you register a children’s day care and play service.

Who needs to register?

Day care and play is when a person looks after children under the age of 12 on premises other than domestic premises (for example their home) for more than 2 hours in any one day.

This can include day nurseries (full day care), out of school care, playgroups, crèches and open access provision, for example soft play centre.

You can find out if you need to register by checking the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare.

Before you apply

Before you start the registration process you should follow the steps below:

You can download the registration forms and guidance below or you can contact our registration team for a registration pack.

How to submit your application

When you are ready to submit your application please call us on 0300 126 7900 and select ‘registration’ from the phone menu.
Remember you will also need to have an enhanced DBS as part of this process, for more information on how to undertake a DBS click on this link - Disclosure and barring service (DBS) checks.

If you are applying for your DBS through Vibrant Nation and need to submit your ID you can do this as part of your appointment to submit your application to register with us. 

Your application to register as a day care provider (or a child minder) must be complete before we can accept it. 
Below we have included links to our checklists that we use to check your application is complete. 

Why not take a look to make sure you have everything in place before you come in to see us. 


The full list of qualifications you must have as part of your application to register is available on the Social Care Wales website (External link) or Skills Active website (External link)

Local planning

We no longer require evidence about the planning status of child minders premises and do not require any declaration in respect of planning. This applies to those applying to register with us for the first time. 

You are responsible for making sure that your premises comply with planning and building control, environmental health and fire safety regulations.

Our role is to ensure that the premises are safe and suitable for the provision of care, taking into account the maximum number of children you will care for at any one time and the available space for each child.

Compliance with child care standards is different from planning permission. Local planning authorities will continue to consider the character of the property in relation to all children care for.

You have a duty to ensure you comply with other laws and regulations that affect your premises and your business, such as planning and building controls.

More information about planning is available on the Welsh Government’s website (External link).

Tax-free childcare

Top things you should know from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about Tax-free childcare. (External link)

How to submit your application

To submit your application to register, please contact us on 0300 7900 126 to book an appointment with a member of the registration team to present your application.

You are required to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate as part of this process. 

If you don’t have a DBS - you can find out more information about how to apply for a DBS check on the DBS section of our website. You will also be able to present your identification documents at the same time as you present your application, providing you have completed your DBS application online.

If you do have a DBS it must be either:

  • Less than 3 months old at the time you submit your application, or
  • you will need to be signed up to the update service (we will still need to see your DBS certificate that you used to sign up with).

Quality of Care

This Quality of Care Review template is available to assist you when formatting your Quality of Care Review. If you use an alternative format, it must be compliant with the Child Minding and Day Care (Wales) Regulations 2010.

You do not need to send us a copy of your review unless specifically required to do so by your inspector. For those services due to receive a joint inspection by CIW and Estyn, you may use the template and cover all themes in the joint inspection framework, or use an alternative method.

Download documents